Monday, February 5, 2007

Have You Hug Your Parents Today?

One of my student have been absent for 3 days, as the form teacher I have to make a call to inquire for the reason and then only to decide whether to give out the warning letter. This student of mine is never gonna be your favorite student, she is not smart, nor hard working nor cute. She can really irritate you especially when you talk with her and she somehow don't seems to be giving you response in any form. She don't even want to nod or shake her head.

So when her mom pick up the phone, I was expecting her to give the reason that her child is sick or too lazy to go to school. Then she say something that stunned me. She say her husband just passed away. She did mention bout her husband is in the hospital when I met her last week. She told me something like he is having colon cancer. I kinda lost the ability to speak/think when i heard the bad news. After pausing for few seconds, I told her that I'm terribly sorry to hear it.

After hanging up the phone, I went to see the headmistress and inform her bout the absentee. She was shocked to heard that news because she recalled seeing the father around new year when the school reopen. All the other vice headmistresses start talking bout what kind of bad luck the mother is having. It seems that they lost their house last year due to fire burning that killed the grandmother as well.

But I'm telling this story here to tell you how fragile life is, and not how luck affect your life. Our family members that we see everyday, that we take for granted sometimes when they do us a favor, that we sometime can't stand their nagging because they care about us, do you know when will be the last time you gonna see them? Flame me for having a bad mouth but life is full of accident and uncertainties, you never ever get to see whats coming up the next second.

Take a while to think when was the last time you actually look at your parents in their eyes and see their faces closely? Do you just greet them in the morning, ask for money before you leave the house and seems to be too busy to have breakfast together? You should really appreciate what you are having now. A simple kiss on cheek, a warmly hug before bed will not buy you the car you want but thats all your parent want from you.

Never take for granted that there is always tomorrow for you to finish off what you left today. For my student's case, she will never have the chance to hold her father's hand anymore. So, have you hug your parents today?

No comments: